Above: Teyba Erkesso of Ethiopia has won the 2010 Boston
Marathon. She was followed by Russian Tatyana Pushkareva,
and defending champion Salina Kosgei of Kenya.
Updated: Tuesday, April 20, 2010
New York (Tadias) – Teyba Erkesso of Ethiopia has captured the grand prize at the 2010 Boston Marathon, finishing the women’s race in two hours, 26 minutes and 11 seconds. She was followed by Russia’s Tatyana Pushkareva three seconds later. Defending champion Salina Kosgei of Kenya came in third, crossing the finish line at 2:28:35.
In the men’s race, Kenya’s Robert Kiprono Cheruiyot won the title in record time, completing the course in two hours, five minutes and 52 seconds. Tekeste Kedebe of Ethiopia finished second at 2:07:23. He was followed by defending champion Deribe Merga, also from Ethiopia, who came in third at 2:08:39.
Erkesso and Cheruiyot will receive $150,000 each.
Video: Boston Marathon and other Headlines
Video: Teyba Erkesso Comments after Boston Marathon
Here are the results courtesy of Boston Athletic Association:
Top Women Finishers-Open Race:
1. Teyba Erkesso (Ethiopia) 2:26:11
2. Tatyana Pushkareva (Russia) 2:26:14
3. Salina Kosgei (Kenya) 2:28:35
4. Waynishet Girma (Ethiopia) 2:28:36
5. Bruna Genovese (Italy) 2:29:12
6. Lidiya Grigoryeva (Russia) 2:30:31
7. Yurika Nakamura (Japan) 2:30:40
8. Weiwei Sun (China) 2:31:14
9. Nailya Yulamanova (Russia) 2:31:48
10. Albina Mayorova-Ivanova (Russia) 2:31:55
Top Men Finishers-Open Race:
1. Robert Cheruiyot (Kenya) 2:05:52
2. Tekeste Kebede (Ethiopia) 2:07:23
3. Deriba Merga (Ethiopia) 2:08:39
4. Ryan Hall (USA) 2:08:41
5. Mebrahtom Keflezighi (USA) 2:09:26
6. Gashaw Asfaw (Ethiopia) 2:10:53
7. John Komen (Kenya) 2:11:48
8. Moses Kigen Kipkosgei (Kenya) 2:12:04
9. Jason Lehmkuhle (USA) 2:12:24
10. Alejandro Suarez (Mexico) 2:12:33